Small school. Big vision.
A tuition-free, K-6 charter school, Friendship Academy of the Arts welcomes one and all to share our public school setting with a private school feel. Here are some highlights of what makes us unique:
- Small student body (maximum 165) ensures every student is nurtured and feels safe; with an adult to student ratio of 15 students or less per 1 adult.
- Ensuring every student’s learning needs are monitored and adjusted throughout the year through an individual learning plan.
- Boosting student learning and retention by using arts integration to teach the core subjects of reading, math, science, social studies, physical education and health.
- Participation by all students in quarterly arts performances and monthly visual arts projects linked to core academic subjects.
- Improving literacy through an ongoing partnership with The Givens Foundation for African American Literature to provide guest artists who co-teach language arts with Friendship Academy teachers through storytelling, poetry, spoken word and writing.
- Dedicated Family Involvement focused on continually improving students’ academic performance through family involvement.
- Committed teachers further support the academic success of students by staying after school to work with students and conduct family outreach through home visits, regular phone updates to parents, classroom dojo and weekly parent e-newsletters.
- Increasing academic achievement and focus on school leadership development through a 2011 Cargill LEAD for Charter Schools grant.
- Students wear uniforms which fosters an equitable and respectful school climate.
- Transportation provided within Minneapolis, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park and certain communities on the borderline of these communities (contact school to confirm if transportation is provided for your address).
- Free before- and after-school care
The Benefits of the Arts
Participation in the arts strengthens students’ skills needed to succeed academically and in life:
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Cognitive skills
- Team building
- Self confidence
- Self discipline
Friendship Academy of the Arts was founded in 2001 and is authorized by Pillsbury United Communities. For more information, please contact Friendship Academy or Office of Public Charter Schools:
Larry McKenzie, Director
Office of Public Charter Schools
125 West Broadway Ave., Suite 100
Minneapolis, MN 55411